Thu, Apr 4, 2013
The UNT System College of Pharmacy at the UNT Health Science Center has selected a group of leading national academic pharmacy experts to guide the new school into the future.
“We live in an environment of unprecedented and ongoing changes in health care and an uncertain future for support of health research,” says Dean Myron (Mike) Jacobson, PhD (pictured) . “The purpose of the Advisory Board is to provide guidance on strategic planning, goal setting, recruiting, and assessment of unique opportunities and challenges that face us as we build this new program.”
The group came together Tuesday, April 2 on the UNTHSC campus to discuss a variety of topics including academics, skills development, interprofessional education, dual degree opportunities and much more.
Board members will serve for an initial three-year period and will, among other tasks, review planning documents, provide advice on faculty and student recruitment as well as on external opportunities and challenges, and serve as advocates for the program within the System and the State of Texas.
Dr. Jacobson says that pharmacy professionals are crucial to improving health care teamwork and patient access.
“The College of Pharmacy is the first pharmacy school in Texas located on an academic health science center campus,” he says. “This means that pharmacists can be educated alongside future physicians, physician assistants, physical therapists, public health professionals and biomedical researchers. That’s how we build health care teams for the future.”
Advisory Board Membership (to date):
- Jordan Cohen, PhD, Chair (Iowa City, IA), former Dean, University of Kentucky and University of Iowa colleges of Pharmacy
- David Allen, PhD (Oxford, MS.), Dean, University of Mississippi College of Pharmacy
- Robert Blouin, PharmD (Chapel Hill, NC), Dean, University of North Carolina Eshelman School of Pharmacy
- Jannet Carmichael, PharmD (Reno, NV), Director of Pharmacy, Veterans Administration Nevada Health Care System
- Paula Perrone, JD (Fort Worth, TX), President, Perrone Rx LLC
- Carol Reagan, PharmD (Fort Worth, TX) Pharmacist, John Peter Smith Health System and President, Texas Pharmacy Association
- Hazel Seaba, PharmD, (Iowa City, IA), Associate Dean, University of Iowa College of Pharmacy
Tags: College of Pharmacy